There’s a saying here in Montreal; We have two seasons: July and Winter. Not quite true- but close enough! It can take forever to get us into warm weather- but when it hits, it’s scorching. It doesn’t last though as our fall arrives quite fast. And our summers can be so temperamental! So how does a Montreal girl shop or plan her wardrobe to meet the fussy weather?
- Avoid shopping too early for summer wear. We are so eager to see sunshine that some of us begin shopping for summer as soon as the very tricky warm rays appear in early spring. But our weather is tricky! Hold back.
- Over shopping (because of over-positivity) is another downfall. Again, hold back.
- Avoid too trendy. We can get carried away when we find the perfect summer dress- and overspend. Consider how many wears you will get out of it?
- Instagram and advertising is not always geared to your country’s weather. Some little summer dresses can be divine in Florida…but don’t quite work for long in Montreal. Same can be said for the colours and patterns in vogue from a tropical place to a northern climate.
- Shopping while away on vacation (where it’s usually way hotter than back home), can be very tempting- but I don’t recommend it. Unless you are shopping for vacation only!
It’s best to give all these some serious consideration, if you don’t want to overfill your closets with things that will just hang there…for you to maybe wear next summer (if you even get a chance). And remember that trends change!
- Transitional is wise. Invest in pieces that will carry you from fall to spring – and the occasional cool days of summer. One good trick is to opt for florals or patterns that go for all seasons.
- The advantages of color. Keeping several light colored pieces, even if the fabric is a little heavier, will work for summer; as will lighter fabric clothing in darker colors work year round as well.
- Layering is key! Invest in pieces that can be layered, or, that are the layering pieces.
- Scarves! I can’t say enough about this incredible accessory! Easily turns into a mini top for summer, or a cover up for cooler temps.
- Blazers: An absolute must for all seasons- yes, summer too! You can wear your halters no problem and be all set when the chilly wind pops in (coz it will!).
- If you need change, and shop you must, then why not give thrifting or vintage shopping a try? This will be an all-around win-win situation for your pocket, your taste, and the environment.
This is not everything- but it’s a good start. We adore summer, but for us Northern girls, let’s be honest with ourselves…it really is our shortest season (so sad!!).
Here are a few looks that can work for more than just one season, while still being perfect for northern weather (like in Montreal or New York). We all know there are days like this- where the sun has turned its back to warm some other place!:
And so here you have it. Note: these outfits you probably saw me style before. And for good reason, they are timeless- fashionable always. My way of shopping my closet and re-inventing as I go along!
Don’t think of this as limiting! In fact think of this as creative, and money well-spent! Your wardrobe will get you through for longer periods of time while being good for your pocket as well as the environment. Stretching clothing use, wear and re-wear is where fashion is at right now. Do your part and look the part, smart and gorgeous.
Take care my lovely Fashion Divas xx
#Confessionoftheday: These tips are tried and tested- not only in my professional styling opinion…but I have been known to shop for the cutest summer dresses (and in different colours!) to never wear them more than once…sad, I know. But true.
If you enjoyed this topic and would like to learn more, please email me at: lucy_bertoldi.com or shoot me a DM on Insta!
And- for all you wonderful bloggers out there- please come link up your posts with me every Friday for my Fabulous Friday’s Link up Party (there’s still time this week too!
Have a great week!
Here’s where I link up:
I love this blogging community so much! (Click on the Links below to see where I go read, comment and link up every week!)
Jersey Girl Texan Heart
Straight A Style Blog
Thursday Moda by Elegance & Mommyhood
I also do a Link Party every Friday! Confessions of a Montreal Styling Diva