So, here we are, smack into the Love month and once again thinking about the perfect gift for that special someone-or maybe- just for us. Why not?! It’s no lie that when it comes to attraction a lot has to do with scent and pheromones ( check out True Pheromones.com) There’s a whole science to back up this theory! Perfume is about the senses, luxury, fantasy, romance, presence, passion, identity, and pure joyful delight. Women love it all…Except for that price thing.
Having been around the fashion and beauty industry for quite a while, I’m still dismayed by a certain pattern that keeps repeating itself when it comes to women and fragrance. Most women come to the fragrance counter and almost want to plunge right into a fragrance that totally envelops them. Many do so by totally indulging and splurging. I love that! Unfortunately, I still see way too many women that are very reluctant to spend on themselves. They try the scent, get totally absorbed by the splendor of the fragrance…to then sadly walk away, all due to the price.
These same women end up buying the second, third or maybe even last choice on their list mainly based on price; or just not buying at all. I’ll bet that somewhere down the line they’re hoping to one day own that heavenly bottle they denied themselves. Will they ever purchase it for themselves- or will they hint away to others until someone finally gets it for them?
I’m happy to say that I see this way less in millennial, and even younger, women! There is so much less guilt on how they spend on fragrance! I so wish that all women of my generation would take this on as an example. We need to see and acknowledge all that we have done for others, instead of always waiting at the back of the line. If you are one of those women who is holding back, I’m here to tell you that we don’t need to justify, it’s time to just own up to ourselves and duly go get what it is that we want- even if it is just perfume!
I believe fragrance can be life enhancing- no, seriously! The right scent can actually set or even accentuate a mood for yourself -and others of course😉. It can also change the way you move and behave, the way you feel and the way you want to be perceived. Furthermore, it can play an important factor in determining which event, time of day, season, or even, reason for which you’ll be wearing it. Think of your attire…this too will be adapted to your fragrance, or vice-versa. Fragrance can be your signature. Is all that not worth the investment (if you can even call it that!).
So how do we stop price from being the deterrent? Next time you’re unsure on whether to purchase the adored fragrance you just splashed on- Consider this:
- Necessity: Start thinking of your fragrance as a necessity. After all, won’t you be splashing this on almost daily- after your shower, before you get dressed? So, I guess you can say it’s part of your hygiene routine. (You need it).
- Worth it: 100$- 200$ worth of clothing gets about 6 or 7 uses before it’s set aside. For about the same amount, a 100ml bottle of fragrance can get you between 6 months to a year of daily wear (and even more I’ve been told!). (Not so expensive after all).
- Complimentary products: If you still think the price is too hefty all in one shot, then invest slowly: Start off by purchasing its shower gel and/or body lotion. Usually at less than half the price each, it’s a good starting point and you’ll still smell delicious. (Compromise)
- Rebates: Get your fragrance with your redeemable retailer points or shop during store events, where rebates can be interesting. You can also ask your fragrance advisor to call you for events and specials, so you’ll be sure to never miss out. (Get on the list and shop smart).
- Shopping Logic: I have a theory about shopping priorities. If you’re out to spend on something useful, practical and a must- by all means, dive headfirst into doing your homework to get the best bang for your buck. But when it comes to a feel-good luxury item such as perfume- the decision process to purchase is certainly not of the magnitude of say, buying a car. Get that fragrance- it’s not a Cadillac. (Makes sense).
If after all this logical reasoning you still can’t justify why you should shop for that heavenly scent you want so badly, I’m not sure how else to convince you on the importance of this frivolous life boosting necessity. But I’ll give it one more shot: Maybe you can skip just one supper-date-night this week- and that might do it! Tried and tested by yours truly…just sayin’!
#Confessionoftheday: I’m so addicted to my fragrance that I once left the house, forgetting to spritz, that I literally turned the car around to go back home to put some on. I’ve since purchased the purse size format- so that I won’t leave home ever again without it…unless I switch purses, in which case I’d have to turn the car around again (been there, done that…hey listen, this is my confession here). Believe me- It’s that worth it. And…so am I. xx
Leave a Reply