Don’t want to brag here…but there is some truth to what you’ve probably already heard…Montreal ladies have great style. I honestly don’t think it’s an overworked or overdone thing on our part. What is certain though is that we want to look fabulous…all the time.
People always comment on how they Love Montreal fashion. I hear it all the time; whether it’s while at work (tourists from the rest of Canada or the US- and Europe…). And, when I’m the one traveling in the rest of Canada- I feel the stares! Is it that we are over-dressed? Or do we really look that different (style-wise)? Even on a regular dressed-down day, people visiting me have commented and asked: How is it that women here always look so put together? Uhmm…what?! Well, ok, we’ll take it…but hey, we know when we’re not looking our best (who knew that wasn’t so bad at all to some on the outside loll!).
When I used to work as Fashion Stylist for the largest department store here in Montreal, it was mandatory that I assist all the Product Knowledge sessions with reps from the different clothing lines. It struck me that they would ALL say that the orders shipped out to Montreal were different form the rest of Canada! How so?
Montreal orders were made up of more outlandish colours, patterns and styles. Nothing was standard. We were not so big on neutrals- unless they were staple high quality items (or black!); otherwise for the trendier, evening, cocktail and even work attire: unique colours, patterns and styles came here first and always did better in sales. Montreal women wanted originality in their wardrobes. They wanted to stand out fashionably. And- this was also true for cosmetics, skincare, nails, hair and accessories.
One day I just might do an in-depth study on this. But right now, purely for your interest, I’ll just go with my personal and professional Styling experience to give you an ‘in’ on what, I guess you could say, sets us apart. Here goes!
- Fashion Does Not equal Style- We have a very discerning eye for detail. Two women can buy the exact same top or dress and wear it in completely different ways (just because we’re thinking that the last thing we want is to bump into someone who’s wearing the same clothes), so we need to change it up (think accessories, make-up or hairdo). The way we style it will make all the difference. So we don’t care as much for the fashion as we do for the style and in the details.
- We don’t buy something just because it’s designer or prestigious. We buy because it looks amazing on us (whether it’s an evening gown or basic underwear!). We are not defined by labels. In fact, we avoid them as much as possible unless it’s a plus factor (ethical, local…) to something that already looks terrific.
- We Don’t shop for our age. We shop for the look that best represents how we feel and that we want to portray. We emphasize our assets without hiding what we like least. So, what ends up happening is that, that which we like least, becomes completely unnoticeable.
- The outlet we shop from is of no importance to us. The piece of clothing that we fall in love with (coz that’s what usually happens with us- more on that in the next point) So-It can be found in designer boutique, retail chain, second-hand shops, vintage, thrift, passed-me down, while traveling, or sometimes, online. Brand loyalty is not necessarily a thing with us- unless you nail it for us every time. We are a challenge for designers and businesses alike. Heads up: Give us a reason to stay.
- When we purchase- it’s because we are completely in love with it- Price is the least of the determining factors. Meaning: if we leave the place without it, we know we will regret it. We will obsess about it. We will go back and get it. (And when price really is the road block, we will hunt for something similar to pull off the look in mind!).
- Montreal women actually wear what they shop. Whether this is an outrageous colour or out of the ordinary pattern- if we bought it, means we loved it- so we’re wearing it. We keep our stuff – think quality- think sustainable here.
- There’s no such thing as spending too much on hair, skincare, cosmetics, NAILS. Montreal women know that if those aren’t put together, you can wear Chanel and look like hell. Hair is our Number One accessory.
- Montreal women don’t wait on each other to start a trend. First one to wear it gets the applause. You wanna be that girl. And from there, we edge our sisters on to go ahead and take the look a step further in their own way! It’s all about originality and that Ahh! effect.
- You can never be too overdressed or be wearing too much makeup- or your hair overdone. Why? Well because even if it takes you tons of products to achieve one look, it’s got to turn out looking effortless and on-point. So that could never look overdone (even if your daily look is a dramatic smokey eye with statement black eyeliner). Enjoy!
- We mean what we wear. Purpose is key. Styling is intentional. The intention for how we’ll wear the item was set the day we got it, even if things might change along the way. We wear the clothes- they don’t wear us. We own our style and feel comfortable in whatever setting we choose to wear it. I think this last point is key: We just do our own thing! I think you’ll recognize that in our stride😉
So that was the scoop, ladies! So what do you think? Is this stylish Montreal women really a thing? Do you recognize these traits in Montreal Women? How do you approach style? And- if you are a Montreal Woman, how accurate is this for you?
You just know- I gotta know loll!
Here’s a short clip of my look the other evening for a friendly going-away party at a restaurant. If you like the look- you can also follow me on the liketoknow.it app. http://www.liketoknow.it/lucybertoldi
#Confessionoftheday: Montreal women love fashion- in fact we Adore following the trends via runways, magazines- you name it. We’re just Big on adapting and somewhat reinventing it!